Homebrew Number Four


Two and a half months since the last post. Time flies…


After brewing an English bitter, a brown ale turned old ale and an underseasoned witbier, I decided to try an American IPA. One reason was that I was gifted 100 grams of centennial hops. The other reason was that I had a very clever idea.

As some might know, unmalted grains and other non-malt fermentables used in beer are called adjuncts. Traditionally they’ve been seen as a bad thing, added to make the beer cheaper and thinner (yes Budweiser, I’m looking at you). The word adjunct itself sounds a bit like ‘add junk’, so that’s what I called my IPA. And then I really added junk.

The base grain was pilsner malt left over from the brewing of Bealtaine, to which I added a small portion of the same 23L/60 EBC/31 SRM Caramedium malt used in Svingeln EKG and Flatcap. But first I boiled up a porrige like sludge of unmalted wheat, barley, rye, oats, flaked corn, wild rice and black rice. Seven adjunct grains in one beer (and also palm sugar later)

Since my equipment is very limited I later added 500 grams of DME for a bit more punch, although due to some mathematical mishaps the beer ended up at 6.5% ABV which is a bit more than intended. Yeast (S04) and fermentation temperature can probably be blamed too.

Hopwise I relied mostly on Centennial, with a small addition of EKG for some reason. Dry hopped with Centennial and Simcoe pellets, but without thinking big enough, so it’s not the most hop forward beer. A judge would probably hesitate to call it an IPA.

I’m pretty pleased with the beer overall, but the hops are a bit weak. The adjuncts leave an interesting fruitiness and the taste is generally pleasing. It’s also a very good looking beer, albeit much much darker than Brewer’s Friend estimates. Adjuncts without SRM estimates are probably to blame.

This was also my first beer with a neck label, which turned out very good. The main label features an upside down American flag in green and magenta, to further the tongue in cheek nudge to US macro beer.

Title: Add Junk – American Adjunct IPA
Author: H Lybeck

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 7.5 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 9 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.025
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.65%
IBU (tinseth): 47.41
SRM (morey): 6.29

0.52 kg – German – Pilsner (31.7%)
0.05 kg – Flaked Wheat (3%)
0.05 kg – Flaked Barley (3%)
0.05 kg – Flaked Oats (3%)
0.05 kg – Flaked Rye (3%)
0.02 kg – Flaked Corn (1.2%)
0.5 kg – Dry Malt Extract – Light – (late addition) (30.5%)
0.1 kg – Brown Sugar – (late addition) (6.1%)
0.1 kg – Caramel 60 EBC (6.1%)
0.1 kg – Wild Rice (6.1%)
0.1 kg – Black Thai Rice (6.1%)

9 g – Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10.3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 35.82
9 g – East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 11.58
10 g – Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10.3, Use: Boil for 0 min
8 g – Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10.3, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
10 g – Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.6, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

1) Infusion, Temp: 68 C, Time: 90 min, Saccarification
2) Infusion, Temp: 74 C, Time: 10 min, Mashout
3) Fly Sparge, Temp: 78 C, Time: 45 min, Sparge
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.25 L/kg

Fermentis / Safale – English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 12.22 – 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 21 C
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

When brewed an estimated attenuation of 82% was achieved, putting FG at 1.01 rather than 1.015.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s